Tuesday, August 01, 2006

 

9 Days....

Our next story is one that most of you with minimal patience for ignorance will enjoy.

When: August 2004
Where: Frontier Baseball Field, Rochester NY

Brendan Gaughan at the time was piloting the #77 Kodak Dodge for Penske Racing. Being that I was a contractor for said sponsor I had heard that Brendan and his team would be near headquarters performing live pit stops for all the employees. So myself and my cohort headed downtown to see the action.

There was the pit set up in the back parking lot and bleachers full of people there even before we arrived. We had made it in time to catch the end of the first “show” where Brendan smoked the tires, laid down some rubber and barreled into the pit while the boys in their pit uni’s did the voo-doo-that-they-did so well. (you can watch it all you want on TV but until you actually see a pitstop live and up close you have NO idea how quick and intense it is) Afterwards a cop on horseback pulled Brendan over and gave him a ticket for speeding in the parking lot. It was classic; rehearsed but none the less hilarious.

So after the first show broke up we stuck around for the second one. Got a good seat right down front and just people watched for the next half hour or so. Which by the way…is our FAVORITE past time.

The second show was to begin around lunch time and the field is right next door to Kodak’s corporate office so all the workers start pouring into the parking lot. By show time it was standing room only. There were even security people there keeping walk areas clear; or at least trying to. So here we were in our front row seats, so proud of ourselves for sticking around so we could get a great look at the team and, more importantly, our buddy Brendan.

Now let’s face it…most people are selfish, self-absorbed idiots. They have tunnel vision for everything else but what THEY’RE doing and not even caring HOW what they’re doing is affecting others.
I say this because people kept stopping to stand right in front of us. They just stood there when they were obviously blocking our view. They saw what they were doing but..they didn’t care. They wanted to see…screw anyone else. Security was telling most of them to move along but they were about as tough as mall cops.

So then this Dad comes down in front of us with two kids. One kid’s just kind of standing there and the other is attached to his hip. Okay, I can tolerate kids and I don’t mind if THEY come down front but by then my last inch of patience was gone. This guy was kneeling down right in front of me. RIGHT there. He saw me, I saw him and as usual, he just didn’t care. That was it, I had enough. My Yankee-ness and LEO tendencies just couldn’t take anymore.
“SIR, I CAN’T SEE THROUGH YOUR DAUGHTER!”

My partner-in-crime STILL quotes that line two years later.
What can I tell ya; If you want a good seat, get there early. Otherwise get the flock out of the way!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?