Wednesday, March 29, 2006

 

WHY I AUGHTA'!!!

I'm going to go against the norm today and talk about a subject that has been beaten to death this week but myself and my fellow blog-writer found it SO utterly wonderful that there is no way to ignore it.
The issue I'm speaking of is Jeff "the Goon" Gordon trying to level Matt "the Brat" Kenseth on pit road.
What can I say, to me it was the highlight in an otherwise semi-snorer of a race complete with whiney Roushkateers and Kevin Harvick doing his best to get on the front page any way he can considering he hasn't driven for shit this year (That's really tough of Harvdick to take on a guy who's about the size of a pipe cleaner).


I like Jeff, I admit it. When I was a new fan to the sport I wouldn't think I would. Personally, I wasn't sure if it was SAFE to like him. I didn't know alot about NASCAR but one thing I did know was the amount of hatred geared at the guy. When people would ask me "Are you a Jeff
Gordon fan?" my response would be a quick and deliberate "NO". I'm not afraid anymore. Granted, I don't consider myself a "fan" of his anyway. Fan is short for fanatic and I'm not fanatical about anybody (except maybe Bootie Barker but that's a story for another time!) .

As my knowledge of NASCAR grew I kept an eye on the guy in the Dupont uni. Seemed like a nice enough dude; clean-cut, well spoken and was winning every race in sight. So why did people hate him so much? Is it because, as Jeff Foxworthy put it, he enunciates? Is it because he wasn't born and raised below the Manson-Nixon line?
It has to be because he's a winner. Our society loves nothing more than to take someone successful and beat them down in order to make ourselves feel better. Personally, I think ANY NASCAR fan who had a moment to be in his presence wouldn't scoff at him. It's easy to boo from the stands but unless you're a drunken, stupid baffoon, you wouldn't get in his grill when near him. Most likely you'd be fishing in your clear backpack for a Sharpie and a piece of paper.

The thing is, Jeff is probably the most approachable star at the track. I don't mean semi-star... I mean MAJOR star. Dale Jr. is surrounded by guards and entourages, Jimmie Johnson rarely peeks his head out other than to run to his car and Matt Kenseth; I hate to break it to you but the guy is about as friendly on race weekend as a skunk with a hemorrhoid!


I've met Jeff numerous times and have never been brushed off, ignored or pushed aside. If ANYONE has the right to be a dick, it's Jeff and he's anything but.
So seeing him with his helmet on shock the shit out of Matt-Brat with that shove was something DREAMS are made of. Jeffy being un-PC and un-Brian France-NASCAR like and giving it to him.

Note to The Brat: Jeff was seen a couple days later at a New York Rangers game at Madison Square Garden. Look out! He may be getting some tips from guys who can brawl on skates (and I'm sure they can show him how to get his helmet off in two clicks).

I'm in your corner Jeff. DING, DING, DING!

Comments:
Jeff says he wants to be seen as a more aggressive driver. I knew it was going to be an exciting season.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?